Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Back from FEX!

Well, hello. I am now back from FEX. That is why this blog has not been updated since Nov 27. Anyway, let me tell you how it went. First, on the way to Fort Hunter-Ligget, there was a fight on our bus, and the chiefs had to break it up. then, we got to sleep in our tents the first night. Little did we know that that would be the last full nights sleep we would get for the next 15 days! The next night, we were standing our watch shift next to our crew served weapon, the M240B. It is like the M60 machine gun, but smaller and lighter. we had 6 hour shifts, but since the temperature dropped to the teens at night, it seemed like it took forever for the 6 hours to get over. Then when the relief would come, I would go back to my tent, and snuggle in my sleeping bag. Let me tell you, that sleeping bag was warm. After 3 days at that camp, we convoyed out to Sparrow, and that is where the real fun began. We dug foxholes, and then we would wait. Everynight, the CRAPS army would attack. Boy, let me tell you, nothing wakes you up faster than when the 50 caliber machine gun opens up. Our det was always assaulted on one side, and luckily, my battle buddy and I were on the side of a hill that they didn't want to assault. So we never had to open up with the 240B. We also were woken up by mortar rounds. (not real ones, just a flash bang.) The white hats (evaluators) would be rating the chiefs and officers on how well they could lead their men. FEX is really an exercise on how well the leaders lead. If we failed, the leaders could lose their jobs. Then after six days at Sparrow, we moved on to Condor. At Condor, we dug more foxholes, and positioned our 240B at the top of a ridge, overlooking a road. Same situation. We never used it, until the final assault on the last day. Then we let fly. They say that I became someone possessed when I opened fire on the 240B. I just kept shooting. They had to tell me three times to cease fire. I didn't even hear them. I guess the adrenalin rush blocked out all external noise. It got me the nickname "KillerBee." Anyway, FEX was real stressful, and some people cracked. It is better that they crack there, rather than in a real combat situation. Anyway, the people that cracked, will be sent back home. anyway, I am glad to be back in Port Hueneme. Bye for now!

No comments: